Tuesday 19 February 2013

Q&A with Sydney from Meekly Made

Sydney Meeks is a proud alumna of Union University in Jackson, Tennessee, where she earned her bachelor's of science degree in nursing in 2008. 



Originally from Arkansas, she moved to Tulsa with her husband, Ben, several years ago. Although she spends most of her days working as a pediatric nurse, Sydney loves to craft in her spare time.
Sydney makes her line of children's aprons - under her brand name Meekly Made - which are sold at Owl & Drum in midtown Tulsa. 

Children's Aprons by Meekly Made

"I wanted to make something cute for a friend, and the aprons I saw in the stores were so plain, so I decided to make a colorful one for her," she said. "I thought 'I can make that' - and I did! I like to use lots of colors, especially pinks and purples, and to make the aprons look cute and fun for young girls."
A keen quilt-maker and all-round crafty person, Sydney is a member of the Tulsa Modern Quilt Guild, which meets at 6:30 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month at Owl & Drum, located at 15th and Delaware. New members are welcome.  


Describe your workspace/studio?
My husband and I recently bought a house and I am so excited to finally have a space all to myself! The room isn’t overly large, but has a nice storage closet for all my craft supplies and a big window with a nice view of the neighborhood. My sewing room has yet to be completed, as far as decorating goes, but I’m loving all the possibilities!



Do you come from a craft-making family?
It used to be said that my mother couldn’t even sew a button on (whether this be due to lack of sewing skills or dislike of buttons, in general, I will never know!). So, I suppose the only craftiness I got was from my grandmother, who sewed quite a bit. That’s what makes it odd that I didn’t take up sewing until several years ago. I much preferred scissors and my hot glue gun.



Are there certain colors, shapes, or patterns you like to work with in your crafts?
I guess I’m a “fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants” type of person. I rarely use patterns. And, if do, I usually make them myself. I’ll see something and think “I could make that!” If it's not right the first time, I just start over and try again. I love colorful things - anything bright and cheery. I did a black-and-white quilt for my sister once and, while the fabrics were lovely, I found the lack of color quite boring!

What are your favorite materials to work with?

Oh, this is a tough one. This week it is probably fabric and thread. Next week, it could be buttons and paper - or lace and felt! I often think I have too many irons in the fire, but I can’t choose just one craft.


What is your favorite thing about Tulsa?
We have lived in Tulsa for several years now, but after you grow up in the middle of nowhere, a city like Tulsa has so many good things to enjoy. I guess my favorite thing (it's so hard to pick just one!) is having everything I could really want nearby. I was used to having to drive 20 miles just to go get groceries. Now, I have stores and restaurants all within a few miles of our house. I love that.

For more details about classes and special events at Owl & Drum, call Bianca Howell at 918-742-1404, visit www.owlanddrum.com or follow the store on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and Blogger.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment